Re: Kernel 2.2.11 crash...

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:06:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 03:21:17 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca>
>
> If so, what if the bug had nothing whatsoever to do with VMWARE,
> but was in fact a legit kernel bug? Is there not a way to tell at
> all?
>
> Without source code to VMWARE's kernel modules, we cannot
> know what it does, nor can we fix the problem even if we
> wanted to. So therefore it is a big question mark every
> time we get a report when VMWARE is being used, and most
> of the time we are just going to tell people to go to
> them about the problem. They offer support with their
> product right?
>
> This is the price you pay for proprietary software, you've
> put a black box into your kernel which no-one but them can
> help you fix problems with.

The source code for VMWARE's kernel modules is availible,
it comes w/ VMWARE, and may very well be open source in it's own
right, that I don't know about. In any case, it's out there, and
for a time at least they were giving out 30-day trial-periods of
their software, which included the source for the kernel modules,
so one should be able to get that source.

Stephen