Re: predictable IP ID

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:15:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

>It stands to argue that the same can be done for vm_area_structs's, so
>why don't we punt those from the mm subsystem?

IMHO it's not possible to lockup a machine due OOM using an userspace
application. This because userspace will be swapped out or will generate
faults and you'll get a SIGKILL before you'll have filled all the memory
with vmas.

The network instead doesn't run from userspace and data structures gets
allocated per irq demand and you can't kill the source of the memory
allocation as it's not on your machine.

Andrea