Re: USB device allocation

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Tue, 05 Oct 1999 14:24:43 -0700

Jeff Noxon wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 01:54:24PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > My /dev takes 107kbyte on disk (2,245 entries!), this is even just a small
> > fraction of devices.
>
> This may sound like flamebait or ignorance, but here goes: Why can't
> USB devices just show up dynamically under /proc/usb/dev/ or something
> like that? Are traditional device nodes really necessary?
>
> Or maybe a USB filesystem, ala devpts...

Well, for one thing you just made your USB modem useless for dialout,
since you can't set the proper permissions for whomever you want to be
able to access your device. And they need to *stick* -- that implies
persistent storage. I'm sure there are similar considerations for many
other peripherals.

/dev/pts is a unique special case, because pty's aren't actually devices
-- they are really just a weird kind of fifo or socket. When they're
not actively being used, they don't exist, and any persistence is not
only unneccessary, but in fact undesirable.

-=hpa