Re: USB device allocation

Nathan Hand (nathanh@chirp.com.au)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:45:37 +1000

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 02:28:00PM -0700, Brian Swetland wrote:
> [Jeff Noxon <jeff@planetfall.com>]
> > On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 01:54:24PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > My /dev takes 107kbyte on disk (2,245 entries!), this is even just a small
> > > fraction of devices.
> >
> > This may sound like flamebait or ignorance, but here goes: Why can't
> > USB devices just show up dynamically under /proc/usb/dev/ or something
> > like that? Are traditional device nodes really necessary?
>
> Wait! Why couldn't all devices just show up dynamically? You'd only
> see the devices that were actually on the system (at that moment). Wait,
> somebody already made this work! Ye gods, the anarchy.

You heretic!

Actually it seems somebody is already doing something similar to the
/proc/usb/dev idea above. The ALSA drivers do something like this (I
am pretty sure) in /proc/asound/dev.

Yes, it's horribly ugly, but what other option do developers have? I
am sure we all know what happened when somebody suggested a neat and
all encompassing solution :-/

--
Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
Phone: +61 2 6230 1871   Fax: +61 2 6230 1515   E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au