Re: USB device allocation

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 23:58:28 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> David Weinehall wrote:
> >
> > Oh, and have you actually ever tried a system running devfs (such as a
> > kernel patched with Richard Gooch' patch, or a Solaris-system), or?
> >
> > Hmmm. If USB isn't enough to convince, think about USB2 (128 devices/bus
> > if I'm not all wrong), FireWire, FibreChannel, SCSI-III, etc. Sooner or
> > later we need a solution to the problem with devices. And devfs is a very
> > good, thought-through, proven to work (been used in Solaris for many
> > years) and backward-compatible solution. And it's available now.
> >

> Solaris does *not* use devfs; the /devices tree is an on-disk device
> node tree which is constructed at initialization time, and it is
> persistent. A much better solution, IMNSHO.

Why is that? You get the same layout with a dynamic-filesystem; the
difference is that with dynamic devices it becomes FAR easier to support
plug'n'play devices.

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </