Re: USB device allocation

David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 01:01:37 +0200 (MET_DST)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Brian Swetland wrote:
> > >
> > > Solaris does *not* use devfs; the /devices tree is an on-disk device
> > > node tree which is constructed at initialization time, and it is
> > > persistent. A much better solution, IMNSHO.
> >
> > How exactly does such a solution work with hot-plugable devices?
> > Some daemon that gets informed of devices appearing and disappearing?
> > I don't think I'm being unreasonable in thinking that when a device
> > is added to the system it should instantly be usable. That's kind of
> > the point of dynamic busses, no?
> >

> That is one way of doing it; IMO a very good way because it lets you
> have policy in user space.

Oh? And what kind of image of how devfs does things do you have then?

This is how devfs works. The kernel part of devfs informs devfsd of the
changes (what devices need to be created/removed), and devfsd nicely
carries out its chores. User-space policy and persistent access-rights are
there for you.

/David Weinehall
_ _
// David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </