Re: USB device allocation

Walter Reed (walt@hubinternet.com)
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:13:16 -0700

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 06:20:45PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> David Weinehall wrote:
> > Oh, and have you actually ever tried a system running devfs (such as a
> > kernel patched with Richard Gooch' patch, or a Solaris-system), or?
>
> Is Solaris dynamic? I'm pretty sure 'boot -r' or creating
> /etc/reconfigure causes a boot script to scan the hardware and creates
> device nodes as needed. That's an entirely userland solution which
> keeps /dev nice and trim.

Yes, boot -r is pretty much the same as:

drvconfig
devlinks
disks

which is what I usually do when hot-configuring devices (disks in
particular) in Solaris.

>From the respective man pages:

DESCRIPTION
The default operation of drvconfig is to create the /dev-
ices directory tree that describes, in the filesystem
namespace, the hardware layout of a particular machine.
Hardware devices present on the machine and powered on as
well as pseudo-drivers are represented under /devices. Nor-
mally this command is run automatically after a new driver
has been installed (with add_drv(1M)) and the system has
been rebooted.

DESCRIPTION
devlinks creates symbolic links from the /dev directory
tree to the actual block- and character-special device nodes
under the /devices directory tree. The links are created
according to specifications found in the table-file (by
default /etc/devlink.tab).

devlinks is called each time the system is
reconfiguration-booted, and can only be run after
drvconfig(1M) is run, since drvconfig(1M) builds the kernel
data structures and the /devices tree.

DESCRIPTION
disks creates symbolic links in the /dev/dsk and
/dev/rdsk directories pointing to the actual disk device
special files under the /devices directory tree.