Re: CDROM is and isn't mounted

Konrad Rosenbaum (htw6966@htw-dresden.de)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:28:13 +0200 (MEST)

I had quite the same problem. But:
*mount showed that the drive is mounted (so it is still in mtab)
*fuser -muv reported nothing on the drive (neither user nor kernel)
*I do not drive VMWare (I wait for FreeMWare becoming ready)
*I drive kernel 2.2.10 (with bttv 0.6.4 and NODGA switched on for Matrox)
*CDRom drive: /dev/hdc (hdd is the same type of ATAPI CDRom and wasn't
mounted, hda is a 10GB IBM harddisk)
*no messages showed up on syslog
*/proc/mounts showed the CDRom mounted

I just had it laying around for one night (mounted and no action except of
the dayly update run at midnight). This worked ok for almost two months
without that symptom - so I guess it is a race condition (either in mount
or in any access) or it doesn't handle some error which may occur on
dirty CDs.

Konrad