Re: Red Hat 6.1 version.h modifications

J. Scott Berg (kernel@kvack.org)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:01:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> Also, the version.h change affects Red Hat only (and Mandrake > 6.1,
> because it has been taken over in the latest Mandrake development
> version), and on both of these distributions, /usr/include/linux *IS* a
> symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux, so it's a non-issue.

What I've seen of the snippets from RH6.1 is that it is done the right
way. 6.0 got it wrong, earlier versions were mostly right (at least the
.config options matched what was running). Debian's approach of leaving
it to the user to fix is plain broken, and a source of time and money
wasting support issues that need not exist. Users should be able to
compile modules on a distribution out of the box if they've installed the
needed packages, and not need to go around fixing things that
distributions didn't implement correctly. I hope that is true of
Mandrake.

-ben