Re: Red Hat 6.1 version.h modifications

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:29:51 +0100

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 11:51:40AM -0400, kernel@kvack.org wrote:

> Bzzzt. Unless Debian has changed something recently, their shipped kernel
> source doesn't include the config and version information require to
> seamlessly build modules out of the box.

Eh? The config is in /boot/config-xx.yy.zz, the version information is in
/proc/version. The correct kernel headers are provided either by having the
full kernel source, or just a kernel headers package.

The reason for *not* symlinking /usr/include/{asm,linux} to
/usr/src/linux/include/.. is discussed in excrutiating detail in
/usr/lib/kernel-package/README.headers, from the Debian kernel-package
package; I can mail it to you if you'd like.

--
If smoking is so bad for you, how come it cures kippers?