Re: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

Johannes Erdfelt (jerdfelt@sventech.com)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:59:50 -0400

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999, Matthew Dharm <mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
>
> > > My understanding (and maybe I'm smoking crack here) is that there are only
> > > 127 devices allowed on a USB tree, and minor numbers go all the way up to
> > > 255. So, why not simply have devices accessed by their device number?
> >
> > USB device != /dev device
> >
> > A USB device can have lots of interfaces and functions on it. Plus you
> > can have multiple USB busses each with lots of devices.
>
> That's a given. We might need kernel compile options to define how many
> major numbers are used (and therefore how large the pool is).

Umm, major numbers right now are allocated by Peter Anvin. If you
allocate them you should use them. What's the reason for a kernel
option?

It won't give the major numbers to a different subsystem.

JE