RE: 2.2.13pre15 SMP+IDE test summary

Tom Livingston (tsl@volition.org)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:03:29 -0700

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> thx@rivalnet.de wrote:
> > I can think of these possible reasons for the SMP problems:
> >
> > (A) SMP race(s) in IDE driver in original 2.2.13pre15
> > (B) SMP-deadlock in raid-2.2.11-patch
>
> (B) is quite unlikely if you do not have it applied and the box still
> crashes? My understanding is that others who had IDE+SMP problems could
> reproduce it without RAID as well. (RAID0 stresses the hardware harder)

He said that raid wasn't on /dev/hda, which is where he saw the fault...
thx@rivalnet.de has been helping track this issue down, and I know he's
encountered this situation without raid installed at all... we both have. I
think until we've essentially eliminated the possibility of ide problems,
all of these ide + smp + raid issues should be considered ide _ smp
problems.. and not raid. My experience with RAID is that is has no such
issues... and after all, all of the traces we've seen have been inside the
ide subsystem, never inside of raid.

Tom