Re: [offtopic] Re: Microsoft Web Site [Ignore them please]

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer (bero@redhat.de)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:47:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Bernard Wei wrote:

> Any misinformation found there must have been deliberately put there
> to generate reactions from the Linux community. Please ignore them.

I don't think that's the right thing to do: People will read it and
actually believe it because they think M$ can't afford to spread lies.

> Think about it: Why sending a list of satisfy linux users to them?
> So that they can target their marketing power on these users?

Show them users like Slashdot or deja.com - users we're sure we won't lose
to them and we're sure to get all the information from. ;)

> Why correct them of their misconception? (whether deliberately put
> there or not)

They are publically spreading misinformation about Linux, and probably
even managing to scare users away because to someone who doesn't know
their "facts" are plain wrong, their arguments sound logical. We cannot
permit that.

> Why argue with them when we knew all they will do is ignore us?

They can't ignore us if we threaten with legal steps.

> If you post a response, it is easy to prove some of those responses are
> wrong by simply a case or two where it doesn't apply.

There is, for example, no case whatsoever where a swap file is limited to
128 MB.

> Responding to such things will only waste developers' time

Non-developers can do most of the writing - there are a number of people
out there who'd like to help but aren't familiar with programming.

> Why don't we just drop this thread and work on problems we have here?
> There are definite IDE/SMP/Network/crash threads floating around for
> some time.

I've never been good at fixing bugs I can't reproduce. I haven't seen any
problems with IDE, SMP, Network or crashes in 2.2.13prex or 2.3.19. (Ok, I
haven't been running 2.3.19 for long...)

LLaP
bero