Re: [patch] replacing "/dev/root" in /proc/mounts

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:47:16 +0100 (BST)

Hello Riley,

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Riley Williams wrote:
> I have to admit that I wasn't aware of any such bug, and I regularly
> use that very option to mount cd images for testing prior to burning
> them out, and have never had any indication of a bug being present.
> As a result, I would be VERY interested in details of this bug as it
> exists in current 2.2 kernels.
~~~~~~~
It seems to be not present in 2.2.12.

The bug was present in 2.2.7 and I mailed to tytso@mit.edu on 10 May and
it (bug) seems to have disappeared but now we have something even more
interesting. Attempt to use the "-o loop=/dev/loop0" syntax as in:

dd if=/dev/zero of=image bs=4096 count=1000
mke2fs image
mount -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop0 image /mnt

results in a massive (infinite?) amount of messages in kernel log saying
"hm, busy page invalidated? (not necesserily a bug)\n" coming from
invalidate_inode_pages() of mm/filemap.c (this is 2.3.19). Note that I do
NOT get all these messages if do losetup /dev/loop0 image first and then
mount -t ext /dev/loop0 /mnt.

A different topic, of course - but something worth looking at,
nevertheless. Anyway, you convinced me - I went back to redhat default
static /etc/mtab. I only disliked it because it seemed like a waste of a
few CPU cycles creating it on each boot. But if there are reasons to have
it - so be it.

Thank you,
Tigran.