Re: kdev_t

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:59:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

>The non-creative approach takes all the arrays
>that today are indexed by major, and creates corresponding
>fields in the device struct. This yields fields like
> blk_dev
> blk_size
> blksize_size
> hardsect_size
> read_ahead
> max_readahead
> max_sectors
> max_segments

>and more (search for MAX_BLKDEV in the current source;
>each array foo_t bar[MAX_BLKDEV] becomes a field foo_t bar
>in the major struct; each array like blk_size[MAJOR][MINOR]
>becomes a field in the minor struct and possibly a default field
>in the major struct).

I like to kill the old arrays (I was just going to writing about the above
step of killing the arrays before reading your email ;) also because it
will avoid to waste cachelines to read information of one single
blockdevice.

Also right now such array are bloating the kernel image as they are
initialized to null (and that's not necessary at all).

Andrea