Re: Katmai/PIII support in Redhat kernels

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=E9goire?= FAVRE (gregoire.favre@urbanet.ch)
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 22:21:45 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I use the PIII SSE/KNI/SIMD instructions extensively from userspace. I
> > really wish PIII support was in the mainstream kernel, but the
> > PIII stuff seems to have missed the 2.3 feature freeze, so they likely
> > won't make 2.4. Is this true? It would be rather sad.
>
> Its been discussed for 2.4 just before Linus left, so hopefully its ok
> There are some non trivial problems left to resolve yet

I don't understand: 2.4 would only have the feature of 2.3, just bug fixes and
that way, no? I have no idea of the problems to solve (and I belive it could),
but would it be possible to include some partial work (the part which works) under
2.3 to able people to try it (I now http://people.redhat.com/dledford/linux_kernel.html
and http://members.tripod.com/jason_hartman/linux/ but as they are for old
kernels revisions, that's not so easy to try them on recents kernels)?

Please, don't cc to me: I am on the list...

Thanks you very much,

Greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:greg@imaux.unil.ch
Gregoire Favre, Institut de Mathématique de l'Universite de Lausanne
+41216923573,+41763231357, http://www.unil.ch/ima/docs/Personnes/gfavre