Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Thu, 07 Oct 1999 15:49:32 -0400

Matthew Dharm <mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net> said:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

> > [...]

> > Don't you see all this is ridiculous? Maintaining /dev is _not_ a minute by
> > minute activity, just creating entries for new devices is not enough, not
> > by a _long_ shot. Sure, it can be nice sometimes, but not enough to pay for
> > any extra cost, IMHO. Instead of a fake filesystem use a real one. It works
> > well enough for me, and I still haven't seen any real situation were it
> > would not be enough, and far simpler than doing extra stuff. People saying
> > that 100Kb on disk for /dev is too much don't count (devfs will cost at
> > least that much in RAM). "Clutter" isn't a argument either, you _can_ clean
> > it up easily. If you really want to, there isn't any real need to go in
> > there most of the time.

> The problem is, given the nature of modern hot-swap plug-and-play systems,
> maintainding /dev could be a _second-by-second_ activity. Forget
> minutes.

_Could be_. It isn't ATM. When (if ever) this becomes a real problem, we'll
be in a better position to asess why, and propose solutions.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl