Re: [2.2.{12,13p15}] PPP uploads fizzle out and die (tcpdump info incl.)

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:01:08 +0100

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 03:29:26PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> >Alas, no. I'm fairly convinced that's a PPP thing, if it was happening to
>
> Agreed your first trace shows that the TCP stack of the linux-sending-side
> is fine. It's the the hardware layer that is dropping packets.

*nods* It doesn't seem to depend on the equipment at the far end of the link,
so I'm guessing it's a local problem. The modem here is part of a 3Com
"Etherlink III LAN+33.6 Modem PC Card" (that's PCMCIA to you and me). cardmgr
identifies it as "3Com 3c562/3c563 Ethernet/Modem" and insmods 3c589_cs.o
and serial_cs.o. So I guess the question is hardware problem (modem), software
problem (driver), or wetware problem (me configuring something wrong <g>)?

--
"Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies."