Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device

Matthew Dharm (mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net)
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:35:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> /dev can be cleaned up using rm(1). devfs at one point used tarballs
> to handle permissions, now it doesn't, it uses a configuration file, which
> makes it even more strange and un-filesystem like. I don't use a config file
> to specify my permissions on my / partition.

I hate to point this out... but if the objection is to configuration
files, then what about /etc/fstab and the mount options that allow me to
mount CD-ROM drives and MS-DOS/FAT32 partitions as various users with
various permissions?

The use of a config file to determine permissions/ownership is not foreign
to the kernel or filesystems.

Matt Dharm

--
Matthew Dharm                                         InterNIC: MDD94
Engineer                                              Cell: (619) 890-6943

YOU SEE!!?? It's like being born with only one nipple! -- Erwin User Friendly, 10/19/1998