RE: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a

Michael Cummins (mjcumm@isa.mim.com.au)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:30:57 +1000

[Deleted for Bandwidth Efficiency]
> If technical reasons are given for disliking the idea, it is
> "emotional
> stupidity", and the idea is "better" just because you say so.
>
> Reasons against devfs:
>
> - Permanent attributes are kludged on
> - Breaks filesystem semantics in several ways, makes it very
> hard to check
> ramifications
> - Impacts system administration, making device managing a lot
> less Unixy
> - Impacts _every_ single driver in the kernel, even if it isn't used
> - What can be done with devfs can be done without it.
> Granted, it is less
> convenient. But I add/remove devices from my machines perhaps once a
> month, so that doesn't cut it for me.
>
> Reasons for devfs:
>
> - Makes handling hot-plug easier, but marginally so
> - Unclutters /dev
O.K. I'm out of my depth here a little. With what you put forward as pro's
and con's I don't think devfs is a good idea at all. Not enough reward for
damage done.
Couldn't somebody write a program for /dev that does what linuxconf(and
others) has done for administration. Just an intelligent interface layer,
not modification to the kernel.
Michael Cummins

> Also: It is extra code, has to be maintained and updated, and
> has to be
> accounted for in new driver developments. It _will_ add new
> bugs, even new
> classes of bugs. This doesn't come for free.
>
> Weighting the above, the answer for me is clearly "no".
> --
> Dr. Horst H. von Brand
mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl

The information contained in this E-Mail is confidential
and is intended only for the use of the addressee(s).
If you receive this E-Mail in error, any use, distribution
or copying of this E-Mail is not permitted. You are
requested to forward unwanted E-Mail and address any problems
to the MIM Holdings Limited Help Desk.
E-Mail: helpdesk@mim.com.au or phone: Australia 07 3833 8042.