Re: USB device allocation

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@dacotec.net)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 14:04:05 +0200

David Weinehall wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Martin Dalecki wrote:
>
> > danielt@digi.com wrote:
>
> [snipped a lot for sanity's sake]
>
> > But anybody more concearned with system design sees this and says:
> > "What a childisch idea. Files are data and file systems are for files
> > and
> > for nothing else. They shouldn't be abused as a backdoor to the kernel.
>
> [snipped even more]
>
> Let me guess: You really hate procfs, don't you?

Hate? No this isn't applicable here. I think it's just a very
twisted idea with really ugly results.
However all the objections against any kind of a special purpose FS
can be compressed to the following:

"Why the hell doesn't

tar cf my_system.tar /

work?"

In fact last time I have tryed (ok it's a lot of time ago)
it turned out to be the most trivial DOS attack out there.

--Marcin