Re: modutils aliases for sound

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 16:48:34 +0200

Keith Owens wrote:

> Isn't there a conflict here between standard kernel code and ALSA?

No, soundcore was invented specifically to make both worlds coexist.
If you look at modules.dep, every sound module depends (sometimes
indirectly)
on soundcore. Also, try to grep for register_sound in drivers/sound/*.c

> Documentation/sound has examples for char-major-14 pointing to various

Yep; one of these files states:
> The following information is current as of linux-2.1.85. Check the other

It was that way looooong time ago, the doc files are wrong, as can be
rather easily verified by looking at the code.

> The kernel has no examples for sound-service or sound-slot. ALSA maps
> sound-service-0-0 (two numbers, not one) to snd-mixer-oss, not sound
> and maps sound-slot-0 (one number, not two) to snd-card-0, not sound.
> What are the correct values for these entries?

Yes. I mapped it to sound because then the default is
to use OSS/Free. ALSA and PCI drivers need to override these.

Tom