Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 18:05:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Use the existing fashion to get information about those devices and
> > have a userspace daemon create new entries in /dev(/sd?) based on the information
> > it gathers by stepping through /dev/sd*, or have it somehow query the kernel
> > for that information directly...
>
> You just described devfsd...

As I recall, devfsd will create symlinks, not actual files, this doesn't
do what we want. Unless devfsd creates files that have major,minor attributes,
and if it does that, what use is there for devfs, or at least, for having devfs
mounted? Then of course, there is still the whole problem w/ running out of
major,minor numbers...

Stephen