Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Dan Hollis (goemon@sasami.anime.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Not my point, I was saying that I must now _also_ take care of not
> hijacking a name. But you don't have to mess with names if you don't use
> devfs. What if I decide to set up a full chinese version of Linux, with
> chinese device names? Now I can't even begin of thinking in using the stock
> kernel...

Which chinese version of Linux uses chinese device names? AFAIK most
(all?) distributions use the "standard" names, which is basically the same
as if it had been kernel policy anyway. Change device names at your own
peril -- many programs are hardcoded to fixed device names. (The kernel,
and init come to mind).

-Dan