RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

danielt@digi.com
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:17:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Shawn Leas wrote:
>
> > From: Horst von Brand [mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl]
> > Subject: Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

> > >"sudo mdir a:" is exactly as easy to use as "mdir a:". Dunno if something
> > >like "sudo mcopy a:somepkg.tar.gz - | tar zxvf -" works, perhaps it does.
> >
> > >Also has the quite interesting side effect that "sudo mcopy /etc/shadow a:"
> > >does work fine.
> >
> > I don't think we want to complain that devfs is at fault for the fact that
> > sudo access can be dangerous.
>
> So now the kludge of using sudo doesn't work, or at least is less
> secure than being able to chown/chmod /dev/fd0... So out goes that idea.

Default permissions /dev/fd0:
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 2, 0 Aug 31 13:14 /dev/fd0

The RunAs option in sudo can be set to disallow root access but allow
group floppy access.

Of course the user could just be assigned to the floppy group,
which would probably rule out running for governor in MN.

--
Daniel Taylor      Senior Test Engineer     Digi International
danielt@digi.com                             Open systems win.