Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:31:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 07:13:07PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@kf8nh.apk.net> said:
>
> > > Red Hat 6.x: /etc/security/console.perms
> >
> > Didn't know about that last one. Scares me, to tell the truth.
>
> What problem is that file trying to solve, I wonder? Does Debian have anything
> equivalent (I'm hoping not).

What you reset the permissions on /dev/pts/* devices back to after a
user has logged in and (potentionally) changed the permissions on his tty.
A tty has it's ownership changed to the user when the user logs in,
so the user can change the permissions on it. In a way, this could possibly
be fixed by having ACL's whereby root owns the file, but then the user gets
added on w/ permissions to rwx the file, and then that extra ACL gets removed
once the user leaves. Of course, it'd be nice if the user could add on to
the ACL's on the file, but not be allowed to change the actual owner of the
file, and the 'default' permissions associated w/ it... <Shrug> Just a
thought.

Stephen