Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 22:40:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Steve Dodd wrote:
> > > Couldn't devfs forward permission changes via chmod/chown to the user space
> > > daemon, which could update the database / magic file?
> > You're now hacking around the flaw, not a nice way to do it.
>
> How about: when devfs is mounted, kernel opens a handle to a file called
> "devfs.permissions" on the mount point. Then device ownership and
> permissions are stored on the physical filesystem.
>
> This could be overridden with a parameter to the kernel to tell it we
> don't want persistent information *at all* (eg for embedded systems).

Still hacking around the flaw, and adding ugliness into the kernel,
the Unified FS sounds like it may work better, but there are still some
questions (in my other email) as to how that works exactly...

Stephen