Re: devfs again, (was RE: USB device allocation)

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 19:11:40 -0100

Horst von Brand wrote:

> David Ford <david@kalifornia.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > One must also be cognizant of the fact that by using devfs, you will
> > always have the right major/minor etc even from release to release. No
> > fussing about a MAKEDEV script that didn't get updated.
>
> Exactly! It will _never_ happen that you've got devfsd-2.4.2 with your
> shiny new 2.5.3 kernel, that needs devfsd-2.5.0 at least.

k<insert name>d works too. all part of mtnc from the author. easily part
of linux/scripts/ just like several other things.

devfs if needed can be precisely like quotas or devfs can be like kdevfsd.

my use of it has the impact that i put a chmod/chown/ln in my rc.whatever
1/2 a year ago for a driver that wasn't updated. i don't do anything else.

-d

--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux