RE: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 21:54:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Shawn Leas wrote:

> From: Stephen Frost [mailto:sfrost@mail.snowman.net]
> Subject: Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device
> allocation) )
>
> >> I hate to point this out... but if the objection is to configuration
> >> files, then what about /etc/fstab and the mount options that allow me to
> >> mount CD-ROM drives and MS-DOS/FAT32 partitions as various users with
> >> various permissions?
> >>
> >> The use of a config file to determine permissions/ownership is not
> foreign
> >> to the kernel or filesystems.
>
> > But it is to files inside a filesystem..
>
> No different with devfsd if I catch your drift. (And I may not)

No... devfsd reads a config file and uses that to set the permissions
on a file inside a (albiet only pseudo) filesystem. It is rather unlike fstab
in that fstab handles the permissions for a filesystem, not for a file in the
filesystem.

Stephen