RE: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:35:33 +0400 (MSD)

In <Pine.LNX.4.05.9910082151590.32297-100000@ns.snowman.net> Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net) wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Shawn Leas wrote:

>> From: Stephen Frost [mailto:sfrost@mail.snowman.net]
>> Subject: Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device
>> allocation) )

>> foreign
>>
>> > But it is to files inside a filesystem..
>>
>> No different with devfsd if I catch your drift. (And I may not)

> No... devfsd reads a config file and uses that to set the permissions
> on a file inside a (albiet only pseudo) filesystem. It is rather unlike fstab
> in that fstab handles the permissions for a filesystem, not for a file in the
> filesystem.

For MSDOS it handles permissions for a files in the filesystem. Yes, MSDOS is
bad filesystem and so on, but it's used on millions of computers out there
anyway and permissions for that files are in file anyway...