Re: SCHED_YIELD again

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 17:46:39 -0600

Borislav Deianov writes:
> Hi,
>
> As has been pointed out before, sched_yield currently doesn't work
> for SCHED_RR processes. There was a patch to fix this about two
> months ago by Artur Skawina but, as far as I can tell, it was
> ignored (probably because it included the controversial SCHED_IDLE
> support). So I'm having another go.

IIRC, that patch was to force a SCHED_RR (or SCHED_FIFO) process to
give up the CPU if it calls sched_yield(), and allow a SCHED_OTHER
process to run.

If this is the same patch, then it should be rejected. The premise is
flawed. POSIX.4 states that RT processes will always run in preference
to SCHED_OTHER. A RT process which does sched_yield() *should not*
give up it's CPU to a SCHED_OTHER process.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca