Re: Kernel 2.2.11 crash...

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 06:27:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Joe wrote:

> I read your posting on the Linux kernel mailing list about
>having problems with 2.2.11. I had problems with 2.2.11 after
>about 1.5 days of uptime, and told you to avoid 2.2.11 like the
>plague.

Right, I remember. Others did too, however from all the info my
brain took in from multiple sources it appeared that 2.2.12 was
worse. Perhaps that was not correct, but that is how I saw it so
I stayed with 11. I had a very long uptime indeed! This only
made me feel even safer with it...

>That was a while ago and suggested that you try 2.2.12
>and you were worried about the mem leak in 2.2.12. Well the mem
>leak in 2.2.12 is smaller than the one in 2.2.11.

Ok, if that is true, then I am definitely interested in 2.2.12
then.

>There is a patch agains 2.2.11 so if you are bent on staying
>with 2.2.11 then get the patch. I have had 2.2.12 and my
>machine has been up for 15 days so far(9:01pm up 14 days
>23:01), I had a problem after 9 days and rebooted this time it
>is about 15. There is also a patch for 2.2.12 and its slow page
>mem leak, but I am not sure how to apply that as patch -p0 <
><patch> did not seem to work for me, but I am sure it was
>something I was doing wrong.

Allright, I will roll a 2.2.12 kernel as soon as someone tells me
where to get the patch to fix it is. Or should I get the latest
pre-13 patch?

> As far as the vmware goes, when you install or upgrade vmware
>you can have it build the modules for you automagically like I
>do.

Hmm.. I don't recall that, but if true, I will just uninstall it
and reinstall. I need to upgrade to the latest version anyways.

>For the most part this seem better, as usually it does not
>have modules for the kernel / system. I have had a few problems
>with the various builds of vmware including the one that you
>have. Eveer since I started using vmware my cdrom has been going
>south. I am not sure if it is vmware or if it is just a cheep
>cdrom drive.

Probably vmware. I had trouble with that too a long while back.
Not any more though. VMWARE has been pretty solid. The only
complaints that I have are that it can't change resolution to
anything other than what X is using at the time. This sucks
bigtime as a fullscreen application ends up in 640x480 centered
on the 1024.768 screen... ;o(

>FYI: About vmware and the source. They do deliver the source
>to the modules, it is located in the
>vmware-distrib/lib/modules/source directory as a few tarball. So
>if there is any problems related to vmware's modules it would be
>possible to look at the source code. It includes the makefiles
>and everything.

Yep, I pointed this out allready too.

> Something else to keep in mind about vmware is that they are
>writing there own drivers for hardware, their bidirectional
>parallel port uses a /dev/parport* device, I guess this allows
>them a direct hardware access method (my best guess).

Actually, I understand that their parport driver is GPL, and is
just a modified version of the existing Linux parport driver.

As time goes on, all that can happen is that it gets better, more
stable, etc...

Take care, and thanks for the suggestions! I'll be rolling a new
kernel as soon as I get the patch info!

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

[insert witty random tagline or cool URL here]