Re: USB device allocation

david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
10 Oct 1999 13:48:55 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.4.05.9910081936460.32297-100000@ns.snowman.net>,
Stephen Frost <sfrost@ns.snowman.net> wrote:
>On 7 Oct 1999, david parsons wrote:
>
>> I certainly don't; /proc is fast enough even for the various
>> 386s I run Linux on, and if I don't want to use those cycles
>> I just won't mount /proc.
>
> And then discover that the latest version of ps doesn't
>work...

Has kmemps even been supported in recent years?

If a useful thing goes into the kernel and the developers of userland
tools abandon the old-style interfaces in favor of the new interface,
I'm not going to blame the kernel when I take that new interface out
and the tools go belly-up.

(And thats one of the nice things about devfs instead of some
hypothetical ``do devfs, but break the interface so that it's not
usable without some large expensive daemon'' alternative; it may
be a new interface, but it's backwards-compatable with the
userland.)

____
david parsons \bi/ The only use for a "break the interface" replacement
\/ is that it would get the devices registry into the
kernel so a devfs patch could be done against that.