Re: PUBLIC CHALLENGE: (was RE: devfs again, (was RE: USB device a lloc ation) )

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:10:41 -0300

Stephen Frost <sfrost@ns.snowman.net> said:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:
> > IF a real replacement shows up, that has significant benefits for a
> > substantial number of users, and which doesn't bloat the kernel, I'll use
> > it gladly.

> What are your feelings on the talk that's been happening with regard
> to thoughts of a larger major,minor set, and a file in /proc to notify user-
> land of what devices are installed, and when devices are added/removed?

Sounds quite sensible. Minimal bloat, can just forget about it if you don't
want to use it at all.

Security implications worry me: When a new device shows up, the devd starts
some proggie to configure it (permissions, ifconfig, whatever). This will
be a program with root privilege, or at least device creating/configuring
capability. OK, whom is this GUI (Big mess! Hard to audit!) program going
to contact? Current user at the console, only user on the machine (some
vermin over the net, perhaps), wait for root to show up? Might be OK for a
personal, non-networked machine. For a server it is out, AFAIKS. And then a
substantial chunk of the proposed functionality is lost.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616