RE: My $0.02 on devd and devfs

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:50:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, David Harris wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > > OK, that's an improvement. But I still think it's a poor-man's
> > > substitute.
> >
> > I disagree. I think it gives you a better framework for doing the right
> > thing.
>
> What happens when the user-space daemon reading the notifier and maintaining
> the database of devices crashes or is accidentally killed? Would there be any
> way to get the device configuration back out of the kernel? Is this even
> something that's worth worrying about?

Why have a database of devices? The user-space daemon is notified
when a device is added/removed, then all it has to do is create/remove (per
user option) the appropriate /dev entry. You might have a config file that
is read in and stored as a database-like thing for handling permissions of
new devices and what devices should be allowed to be created/deleted
on-the-fly, but when the system dies, a quick glance at what is in /dev can
probably tell you what all was in your system at the time.
Of course, if you don't know what was attached to your system when
your system crashed, well, me thinks maybe there be other problems afoot. :)

Stephen