Re: scsi disk detection and /dev names, RE: My $.02 on the raging

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:07:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Jakma, Paul wrote:

> So devfs is a quick workaround of this limitation rather than being a real
> cure (for this particular prob). If anyone with the coding skills is
> listening, it'd be great if static /dev could support location based disk
> names too.

As a thought, one thing I was thinking of is, if you have a list of
what devices are in a system by major,minor, if there was then a way to
query information about that device you could then have a user-space proggy
create the location-based device names for you...
Of course, this does cause some issue when you wonder about the
problems of a major,minor pairs being reused... Hadn't thought about that
one much yet. ;)

Stephen