RE: My $0.02 on devd and devfs

David Harris (dharris@drh.net)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:42:19 -0400

hpa@transmeta.com wrote:
> > What happens when the user-space daemon reading the notifier and
maintaining
> > the database of devices crashes or is accidentally killed? Would there be
any
> > way to get the device configuration back out of the kernel? Is this even
> > something that's worth worrying about?
> >

> Depending on the kind of daemon used, it would either be respawned or
> the info would get queued up until it is restarted. I don't think it's
> particularly anything to worry about, though...

If you re-spawn the daemon and it gets to see all of the events that have been
stored up, it still does not have a proper view of the device configuration.
The kernel really has to be smarter than just issuing events and buffering
them.

Then doesn't mean that the kernel has to store the device configuration and
you've implemented a sub-set of the underlying device namespace/tracker that
devfs offers?

- David Harris
Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services