RE: My $0.02 on devd and devfs

Shawn Leas (SLEAS@videoupdate.com)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 14:40:42 -0500

From: H. Peter Anvin [mailto:hpa@transmeta.com]
Subject: Re: My $0.02 on devd and devfs

>You don't need many devices. You can easily chew up tens of kilobytes
>storing *one* ACL.

This is a peripheral issue. Not relevant. Off track... Let's
concede with the exception that this is unimportant, not to
mention the fact that ACL is not clearly defined, at least
with respect for implementation/standard.

>But you're still trying to require that the virtual filesystem exists.
>You're building your system around devfs, instead around the daemon, or
>the interface, which is what I object to. It means you need to expand
>all the trees, etc, etc, in kernel space yet. I think we're relatively
>close, but not close enough.

What is the sum total of all problems addressed by your scheme?
What I like about devfs is that we skirt issues by simply not
going down problematic roads, and all while keeping compatibility.
I appologize for not fully understanding your idea, but I was
either kicked from the list or M-Sexchange barfed and I was
bouncing emails.

-Shawn