Re: Other $0.02 on devfs permission persistance

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:34:14 -0600

David Harris writes:
> The devfs FAQ seems to indicate in the section "Persistence of
> ownership/permissions across reboots" that the rc.devfs script is
> required to make permission modifications made through chmod(2)
> stick. It also seems to say that permissions _should_ be modified
> using the configuration file, which gives the user more control and
> is naturally persistent over reboots. But if the permissions are
> modified with chmod(2) then rc.devfs is required for persistence. Is
> this true?

No, you can use devfsd instead. You can configure it to chmod(2) an
inode on a disc-based FS whenever something chmod(2)s an entry in
devfs. This is almost exactly the same configuration that you'd use to
manage a disc-based /dev while mounting devfs on /devices.

Or you could write a script that updates your own purpose-built
permissions database. It's up to you. All the infrastructure is
already there.

> If so that seems kind of annoying. I'd prefer that permission
> modifications made with chmod(2) stick even if the system crashes
> and the background user-space daemon was never started. It seems
> that the problem is having devfs store _any_ information in memory
> that we want to eventually become persistent and stored to disk
> (either by some script on shutdown or the devfsd) .

So configure your system to do what you want. No problem.

Regards,

Richard....
Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca