Re: My $0.02 on devd and devfs

david parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us)
11 Oct 1999 16:38:45 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.380254A4.F0C32162@pobox.com>,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>Khimenko Victor wrote:
>> See above. Try to turn on printer, do `cat something > /dev/printer/0` with
>> devfs and explain how it'll be handled with devd.
>
>Are you implying here that /dev/printer/0 is created at open() time?
>IMHO that is a bad idea.

I think that if /dev/printer/0 is controlled by a lkm'ed driver,
that's exactly what happens, no matter what. I'd expect that in
the devd case, you'd have to populate /dev with every possible
device so that you could actually do the open, have the kernel tell
kmod to load the driver, then the information would go off to devd
to, ummm....

____
david parsons \bi/ I may be misunderstanding devd here, but it seems
\/ to be slightly less useful than the male nipple.