RE: [linux-usb] Re: USB device allocation

Tue, 12 Oct 1999 08:28:49 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, David Waite wrote:

> [...]
[SNIPPED]

What does matter is that the drivers use the major number to
represent what they are, and the minor number as either a particular
instance of a device or a particular parameter, depending upon the
device. Look at /dev/fdxxxx (major/minor) as an example.

If these devices used strings, asside from having to all be rewritten,
you need a variable-length string-lookup every time they are accessed.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
**** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED ****
Penguin : Linux version 2.3.13 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).