Re: [2.3.20] cat /dev/psaux freezes machine

Florian Weimer (fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org)
12 Oct 1999 16:52:42 +0200

"Sean Hunter" <sean@uncarved.co.uk> writes:

> > > deneb:/# ls -l /dev/psaux
> > > crw------- 1 root root 10, 1 Oct 11 12:22 /dev/psaux
> > > deneb:/# cat /dev/psaux > /dev/null
> > > [^C has no effect here, but ENTER still causes line feeds.]
> > > [Now move the mouse.]
> > > [The keyboard is dead. Magic SysRq doesn't work.]
> >
> > Same problem with 2.3.21, BTW.

And GCC 2.7.2. I tested this with a minimal kernel without APM and
APCI support -- same problem. Is anybody else out there using a PS/2
mouse with 2.3.2x?

> I wonder if this is related to my laptop problems?

I don't think so.

> I suspect that the ps2 driver and/or keyboard driver are buggy here,
> and have been since at least late 2.1 (that's when I first got my
> laptop).
>
> Do you see this behaviour with 2.2 ?

No, 2.2.x has always worked like a charm in this area. Actually, the
code in drivers/char/pc_keyb.c is pretty much the same, only the wait
queue handling was changed. Perhaps someone missed something when
doing this?