Re: 2.3.21: Serial mouse problem...

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:51:43 -0400

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 02:57:04PM -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> The system that failed has a Logitech MouseMan serial mouse.
> Neither GPM or X sees the mouse any longer. If I boot it into 2.2.12,
> it works perfect every time. If I boot it into 2.3.21, it fails every
> time. I get no mouse movements and no button events. It's like the
> mouse is just dead. It doesn't even jump around like the protocol
> or baud rate was wrong. Both GPM and X start up, they simply do not see
> any events coming back from the mouse. If I connect to /dev/mouse (or
> /dev/ttyS0 where the symlink points) with "cu", cu connects just fine but,
> moving the mouse around and clicking the buttons, I don't get anything
> out. If I do that with 2.2.12 I get a nice satisfying long stream of
> garbage like I should.

> I built the system by copying my working .config from the 2.2.12
> kernel sources to the 2.3.21 sources and doing a "make oldconfig". The
> only thing new that I didn't take the default on was the UDF file system
> stuff. CONFIG_SERIAL is set to y. This is a RedHat 6.0 system on Intel
> i686.

Ok... Figured out (I think) what the problem was. I rebuilt
the kernel with CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS support enabled and CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS
enabled and now the serial mouse works. Neither the 2.2.12 or 2.3.21
kernel had those enabled in my earlier builds, but the serial mouse worked
in 2.2.12 and didn't work in 2.3.21. I now have both of those options
enabled in both of those versions of the kernel and the serial mouse
is working fine in both.

Anyone have a clue as to why or was this just some wild coincidence
and I had a bad build earlier???

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com