Re: [2.3.20] cat /dev/psaux freezes machine

Claudio Calvelli (clc@assurdo.com)
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:28:10 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Sean Hunter wrote:

> I wonder if this is related to my laptop problems? Basically with
> 2.2.x, my laptop will boot with the keyboard frozen (no sysRq) if I
> have gpm start at boot time (mouse type, you guessed it - ps2). The
> computer is still running fine, and can operate over the network. If
> I tap a key during boot (wierdly enough). It works fine.

I have a similar problem - laptop boots, keyboard freezes - however, it
only happens if pcmcia initialisation runs before gpm starts. If gpm starts
before pcmcia, everything works fine. No hint why (nothing in any log file
suggesting what might be going on).

> Do you see this behaviour with 2.2 ?

I have that in 2.2.x (only tried for x=0, 2, 5, 7) and 2.3.y (y <= 19, as I
haven't had time to get 2.3.2[01] yet); with 2.3.1[89], I need to build
pcmcia as a module and make sure it loads after gpm starts, otherwise the
keyboard freezes. With 2.0.z (z >= 35) everything works fine, with gpm
starting before or after pcmcia.

Any configuration which includes pcmcia, ps/2 mouse, and the bits necessary
to boot and mount root fs (ide, ext2, etc) exhibits the same behaviour.

Claudio