Re: Guaranteeing processing speed...

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:15:38 +0200 (MEST)

David Woodhouse wrote:
> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> >
> > You run the process with real-time priority. That means that the mpg
> > player will get the CPU whenever it wants over other processes....
> > This is fine as long as the program is fast enough to handle the
> > datastream.
>
> "I'd like to know how much petrol is in my car."
> "Go fill it up and I'll tell you."

> That's not the ideal answer. The ideal answer is for the MPEG
> decoder to know how large a timeslice it's going to get, and to
> adjust its playback quality accordingly. Or at least know the
> _minimum_ timeslice, then be able to use the extra time efficiently
> if it happens to get any extra.

Well, having an application request how much bogomips are available,
and then tell the OS how much bogomips it will need is also less than
ideal. The MPEG player will need to know the number of mpeg-mips and
not bogo-mips.

It will need to calibrate the computational speed anyway....

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------