Re: : : Becoming a Linux Hacker?

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:17:36 +0200

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 05:59:51PM -0700, Ming Lei wrote:

> > > I remember Eric Youngdale posting saying he'd updated 1.0.9 to work
> > > with modern compilers and C libraries. 0.0.1 is a lost hope; you need
> > > minix and gcc 1.x as I remember.
> > I have an old LST 1.8 distribution on CD here, containing a full Linux
> > distribution with kernel 1.0.9, gcc of the same age, XFree 2.something
> > and a load of other tools. Runs fine in VMWare :-)
> > If anyone wants those bits I can put them up my FTP server. most of the
> > utilities are just a couple MB... the whole distribution is a boggling
> > 120MB (or something) in size (wow!!). :-)
> Could you put that CD on your FTP server, and maybe as well as some linux
> public sites so if someone needs to install old version of Linux, he can
> still get it? Let linux-kernel email list know and cc to me also. Thank
> you very much for helping.

I asked ftpadmin@kernel.org for space. I had a talk with our dorm admins
and they told me they wouldn't like a horde of people downloading 100MB out
of our network ;) so could you please suggest a few other sites where I
could ask for space?

btw, I forgot almost, this distro is in German - they've even
internationalized all kernel messages. But that shouldn't be too much of a
problem :)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Windows NT indeed has very low Total Cost of Ownership. Trouble is, Microsoft _owns_ Windows NT. You just licensed it.