Re: Kernel OSS vs ALSA

Kernel List (kernel@gladden-fields.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:02:31 +0100

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 03:56:07PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> but most of all:
>
> * Why mix in software in a shared buffer if the hardware can mix from
> "enough" buffers by itself?
>
> In my opinion, any replacement (and most enhancement projects) for the
> current sound subsystem should provide multiple streams to userspace if
> the hardware supports it. Things like 3D support are considerably
> harder to devise an API for, but this should not be so hard.

ALSA already does this for cards that support multiple hardware
channels. For definate the Trident chipsets should work, though
I dont yet have one.

There was some talk on the ALSA list of having hardware mixing with
cards that allow it and fallback to alsa-lib userspace mixing if they
dont. No-one has yet placed any code for this sort of thing
yet though.

Graeme