Re: diff -X exclude_file for patching live kernels?

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 04:23:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Does some kind soul have an exclude file for being able to run
>
> diff -urN -X exclude_file linux linux-patched > my.patch 2>&1
>
> i.e. I can put patterns like "*.o" ".config" etc etc but it will take time
> to find them all out.
>
> This would allow making patches from the compiled patched tree without
> having to do "make mrproper" each time.

cp -rl linux linux-foo; cd linux-foo; rm -rf include/asm; make distclean
and there you go. Links are there for purpose. Moreover, I normally just
do cp -rl before everything else and build on a mirror tree. Vi knows
how to deal with links, so it doesn't create a separate copy when you edit
file. Even if you are using the abortion from MIT the first variant will
go.