Re: keymap error when closing X

Ookhoi (ookhoi@dds.nl)
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:01:05 +0200

Hi Lance,

[cc to kernel mailinglist]

> I get the following when closing Xwindows.
>
> What does this mean?
> How do I fix it?
>
> System: `/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp -w 1 -R/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb -xkm -m us -em1 "The XKEYBOARD keymap
> compiler (xkbcomp) reports:" -emp "> " -eml "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server"
> keymap/xfree86 /var/tmp/xfree86.xkm'
> xinit: connection to X server lost.
>
> I wonder if part of the problem is that 'us' is an empty file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols

I have the same message when I _start_ X. As soon as the XDM loginscreen
is there, or when X is running, the mouse and keyboard don't work. They
do during boot. Don't know if the message is related with the malfunctioning
of the keyboard and mouse.

This is with kernel 2.3.21 pre-patch-2.3.22-2
Kernel 2.3.19 is fine (didn't test another)
Mouse and keyboard are PS/2
No gpm (disabled)
Debian Potato:
XFree86 Version 3.3.5 / X Window System
Release Date: August 23 1999

If I kill X via a remote login, keyboard works again (at console thus)

I would be happy to supply more info if nescessary.

Ookhoi