Re: PATCH: (on Alpha) emulating missing instructions

Luke Deller (luked@cse.unsw.EDU.AU)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 01:02:23 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Eric Bohm wrote:

> Luke> Daniel & I tried to run Loki's new beta version of
> Luke> Civilization Call to Power for alpha linux on a multia (ev4
> Luke> alpha). We got an illegal instruction exception. We
> Luke> discovered that it was compiled for ev6, and so contained
> Luke> instructions not supported by our CPU.
>
> Luke> So we have patched the linux kernel to emulate the
> Luke> instructions we needed. These instructions are: - byte/word
> Luke> load/store instructions (ldbu,stb,ldwu,stw) - some
> Luke> multimedia instructions (minsw, maxsw, minuw, maxuw, minsb,
> Luke> maxsb, minub, maxub)
>
> Good work.
>
> The same problem happens on my EV56. Would you expect your patch to
> work there also? Or are there EV5 elements that I should expect
> to be issues?

I think that ev56 supports the byte/word load/store instructions, but it is
still missing the multimedia instructions (minsw etc). I would expect that
ev56 users could also use this patch. Let me know if it works ok :-)

Luke Deller luked@cse.unsw.edu.au
_--_|\ Computer Engineering student
/ \ School of Computer Science and Engineering ? ? ? ?
\_.--._* The University of New South Wales ~~^^~
v Sydney, NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA o o